Asian inspired Kangaroo salad with white wine spiced poached pears & hoisin and wholegrain mustard dressing
1 bottle hoisin sauce
1 jar wholegrain mustard
4 kangaroo striploin fillets
Mixed lettuce leaves
1 Red onion
¼ Red cabbage
For Poached pears:
2 star anise
1 cup white wine
½ cup water
¾ cup castor sugar
1 cinnamon quill
1. Peel, quarter and deseed the pears and place in a small pot on simmer with the remaining ingredients for the poaching liquid. Cook for 5 minutes or until soft. Set aside.
2. Slice red onion, carrot, red cabbage and fennel into thin strips and toss together.
3. Heat oil in a large non-stick frying pan over a medium-high heat. Rub kangaroo with seasoning and place in frying pan, browning the meat on all sides. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes each side until medium rare. Remove from heat and cover with foil for 5 minutes to rest. Slice thinly.
4. For the dressing put equal quantities of hoisin and wholegrain mustard into a bowl. Whisk whilst slowly add some of the pear poaching liquid until it thins out the mixture.
5. In a large mixing bowl combine sliced kangaroo, salad mixture, salad leaves a few handfuls of the crisp noodles and the dressing tossing to combine.
Serve salad garnished with a sliced fanned quarter of poached pear.